Kansas City Townsend Law Firm

Prepare your new driver in case of an accident

On Behalf of | May 15, 2017 | Car Accident

Imagine that your teenager has recently completed her driver education course. Soon, you will buy her first car and she’ll be driving down the road without your supervision. And although you realize you won’t be able to prevent your child from becoming involved in an accident with a negligent driver, you can prepare her for what to do if it happens.

If you or your child has been involved in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for damages. Before accepting any monetary offers from an insurance company, you should sit down with an experienced injury attorney in the Kansas City area to review your case.

Right after the accident

Just after an accident, your teenager should assess the situation. If he or she is hurt, they should immediately call for medical help. If they are not hurt, or their injuries are minor, they should check on all other people involved and make sure they do not need help. If possible, they should attempt to move their vehicle off the road to avoid causing traffic build-up or another accident.

Record information

Your child should not assume that the driver that caused the accident will report it to the insurance company. Instead, your teenager should take down the other driver’s contact and insurance information. He or she should also take pictures of both vehicles, make a note of the other driver’s license plate, and get statements and contact information from witnesses.

Notify the police

Even if the accident seems minor, your child should call the police. Many insurance companies require an official police report in order to process a claim. Furthermore, if you decide to settle out of court, a police report may provide support for your claim against the other driver.

Call your insurance company

After a medical professional has checked your son or daughter for injuries and sent them home, it is time to contact your car insurance company. Before doing so, have your child write down the details of the accident. When you contact the insurance company, have the description of the accident ready along with all the information that they gathered at the scene.

Taking legal action

If the other driver’s insurance company is denying the claim or offering a very low settlement figure, you may want to consider taking legal action. Fortunately, a car crash lawyer can help you take the necessary steps to pursue a claim against the driver and his insurance company.