Kansas City Townsend Law Firm

What happens if you’re hit by a drunk driver?

On Behalf of | Jan 20, 2022 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

If your vehicle is struck by a drunk driver while on a Kansas City road or highway, you may be entitled to compensation. However, this assumes that the other driver’s negligent behavior was the cause of the crash and any injuries that resulted from it. Take a look at what you should do if you are involved in a crash with an impaired motorist.

Was the impaired motorist liable for the crash?

At first glance, it may seem to be a given that a drunk driver would be liable for a motor vehicle accident. However, there is a chance that you might be partially liable for the crash as well. For example, if the crash happened because you ran a stop sign, you might be partially responsible for it. The same might be true if you were following the other driver’s car too closely or otherwise driving in a reckless manner yourself when the collision occurred.

You should be prepared to prove that the driver was impaired

The law requires you to show proof that the other driver in your case was impaired when a crash occurred. It may be possible to use toxicology reports, a police report or the other driver’s own words as evidence that this is true in your matter.

Did you incur any financial losses?

To obtain a favorable outcome in a personal injury case, you’ll need to show that you incurred financial losses as a result of another person’s negligent behavior. You will likely use copies of medical bills, credit card statements and similar records to establish that you lost money after being in an accident caused by a drunk driver.

A motor vehicle accident may result in injuries, property damage or other negative consequences. However, it may be possible to obtain damages to pay medical bills, replace lost or damaged property or otherwise help you recover and live a reasonable quality of life.